Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4, What a day, and we aint done owt

    July 9, 2018 in France ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Good evening all, first of all apologies if this post makes naff all sense at all, alcohol appears to have taken over.

    Again, another stunning day weather wise, another 33 degrees Jobbie. Another late wake up for us, gone 9 when we awoke. Beautiful skies and early twenties from 9am. A lazy morning and nice breakfast looking over the fields from John & Dianne’s place. Eddie and Lynne were due to arrive about 12pm today. Ha ha, well there lies an interesting tale. We had a wander to the supermarket around 11.30am with JB to replenish diminishing supplies of wine and other alcoholic beverages. First call from Eddie came in around 12.30 about right for their estimated time of arrival. They advised they were at the church in Genouille so we directed them in. They would have only been a couple of minutes away so John and I walked to the road to greet them. We got chatting to Eve, a local farmer who was telling us he had been harvesting grapes for some peneau, a wine/cognac mix. Lovely chat, really nice bloke. After a good 15 mins and still no Eddie and Lynne, JB and jumped in the car to go and retrieve them from the church, however they were nowhere to be found. We managed to get them on the phone to try and establish where they were but good ole Eddie advised us his phone was nearly out of charge just before being cut off, forever !! Talk about Challenge Anneka trying to work out where they were. Anyway, judging by the fact he said he was near La Rochelle, we worked out he was about 90 miles away at the wrong Genouille. We couldn’t get either of them on the blower so I sent them a text with some general directions in the vain hope they managed to pick it up and at least head in the right direction . After that, all we could do was relax and soak up the sun whilst trying to call them periodically. I took Jacko out for a walk and he decided he’d do a shit, no shit bags with me so I had to nick a stick and flick it in to a nearby field, he’s a little bugger, I’m sure he knew he was having me over !!

    Later in the afternoon, still no news from Eddie & Lynne, Eve turned up for a beer and a chat. It’s great meeting the locals and as John & Mags & John & Dianne have been here many years, they know a lot of people. Eve turned up with a couple of bottles of his home made peneau. He said he would return at 5.30 to join us in drinking them. From then it all dropped in to place, Eddie and Lynne finally turned up 5 hours late but in good spirits, just in time. We threw a couple of bottles of Doombar down before sampling a glass of red, then a glass of white of Eve’s peneau. Jeeesus, it blows your blooming head off. We had a good hour with him chatting and learning all about his family and what he does. It was great.

    After he left we had a lovely meal cooked by Dianne and Margaret and plenty more champers and I even started on the red wine. It’s 10.30pm now and we’re back in the van having a cuppa, I feel pissed but to be fair it doesn’t take much these days. Early start for me tomorrow, all will be revealed in tomorrow nights blog.
    Read more