Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    LOST! backroading it to Vegas

    October 16, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    The idea is to tour America’s backroads, a good one because we’ve seen nothing traveling at 90 miles per hour on a 12 lane highway, the landscape is a blur. But at least you know where you are!

    We drove the full length of Death Valley then exited through a pass over a mountain range where you looked out across Nevada, spectacular country and no one there. Perfect!
    The road was good, it was also very windy, not windy as with wind but windy like with lots of curves, like a smooth roller coaster ride that went on for 20 miles, that’s a 20 mile downhill coast in a 5 ton RV, now this is living!
    We saw no other traffic so this qualified as a backroad which would have been better to stay on but near the bottom we saw a dirt road leading off to a range of blue mountains and the road looked like it was heading in the right direction. Perfect, according to someone.

    The idea has been taking the backroads and free camp as much as possible so this option had it all, till the road turned in every direction but where we were wanting to go.
    The road turned so much it was like being blindfolded and spun around many times, we had no idea where we were and it was getting dark so we pulled over for the night.

    This was all good, we have a shower, toilet, fridge, stove, dining area, a push button generator, enough food for weeks and the kitchen sink.
    After a gourmet meal and pondering all our maps and what we could pull up on Google without any reception we still didn’t have a clue so brought out the chairs to sit under the stars.
    Around us, the whole dirt road, backroad drive we saw no civilisation, no lights of any kind so it should have been very dark but in the distance, just over the next range glowed the laser like lights of Las Vegas that even flooded where we were.
    Read more