Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    American Graffiti

    October 23, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    A small collection of some of the treasures you find along the road with the exception of the ad in a local paper. Photo number four is of a classic column called “CRIME OF THE WEEK” and if it’s hard to read it describes the theft of seven guns and a TV Set. The guns sound a little pedestrian till you get to the .44 Magnum and the AK47 built from a kit.

    An AK47 kit, where do you get one of those from? I know what I’m asking Santa for next Christmas.
    Trouble is how do you tell Santa you’ve been good and ask for an AK47 in the same breath, you can be sure you wouldn’t get anything next Christmas.

    Thats what great about traveling in the US you really know that you’re in the USA, there is no doubt about it like say travelling in the tropics because the coconut tree your sitting under could be on any tropical island any where and Margaritas taste the same the world over.

    Along the backroads, away from all the rich fancy pants areas, which is probably the majority of the country, it seems most peoples vehicles are worth more than their homes.
    That not hard because reading more adds from that local paper one says “For Sale 2 Acres. $200 down and $200 a month for 2 years”. Another one reads “Priced Reduced. Land and Home. Immaculate two bedroom, two bath. Laminate wood floors, fenced, half irrigated acre lot. Large shed. $49,900”.

    These ads are getting better, I just spotted one for a Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible for $4000.
    So the idea now is, convert all our overpriced Australian properties into US ones, create a property empire, stick a fat cigar in your mouth and drive round like a ponce in your Mustang Convertible.

    I was lucky to find my $4000 Mustang because the reason why vehicles cost more than property is.
    We have just driven up from Arizona through Utah to Colorado, then on into Wyoming and over ninety percent of the vehicles on the roads are nearly new Dodges, Fords or Chevrolet pick ups all worth well over $50,000, there were very few normal cars on these byways at all.

    You spot them too from the road, gleaming and garaged, if they could afford a garage, alongside some decrepit hovel with about twenty other antecedents out the back amongst tons of other rubbish so the contrast is dramatic, the vehicle seems like the only thing clean and cared for.

    Getting little away from the US, this would be politically as well, another ad I spotted reads: “35 Miles West Of Cuba, 600+ acres bordering BLM (whatever that is), public water and wells, electricity, fenced (what all 600 acres fenced) 5000’ two story cinder block building with bathrooms and a kitchen. LETS TALK 505-258-7894”

    Now we’ve included the phone number so if any of you want to get in on this action. We’ve all ready got the trailer park market tied up here though would consider a partnership as this spot has tax haven written all over it.
    Read more