Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4 Cercedillia to Zamarrama

    April 7 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Day 4 Cercedilla to Zamarrama near Segovia 34kms

    After not sleeping too well, I set off at 07.15am in the dark. The trail followed a main road up into the Guadarrama Mountains.
    I eventually reached a very rocky Roman road rising up to a 1800m pass.. I was in awe that Roman soldiers and pilgrims of a bygone age walked this route.Well not that much as I was huffing and puffing my not so slim backside up a mountain. 😬
    Close to the summit of the pass, I met Cheng from South Korea. We stopped briefly for breakfast and put extra layers on before starting our long descent to Segovia. There was a lot of snow on the trail but easy to pass.
    As we descended the weather turned cold and light rain began to fall. The trail meandered through the forest with easy descents. There were no real views because if the mist.
    As we descended out of the mountains, we could see Segovia’s cathedral in the distance. As we walked the lowlands, I saw what looked like a figure sitting on a rock in a field of yellow. Only when we got closer and it took off, did we realise that it was an eagle. It was HUGE.
    We eventually got to Sevogua’s main square which was packed with tourists. We were very footsore and tired. We got our credentials stamped and went to a fantastic cafe for lunch. I can tell you that the meal and beer were amazing.
    We then walked or waddled the last 3kms up a hill to a fantastic albergue reserved for pilgrims. The hospilario is wonderful and caring. All for the princely sum of 8 euros, we have a bed for the night and our clothes washed.
    Read more