Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5 Zamarramala to Santa Maria

    April 8 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Day 5 Zamarramala to Santa Maria La Real De Nieva 33kms

    Cheng and I were the only pilgrims in the Albergue last night.
    I had a very early night and slept comfortably.
    Cheng and I were back on the trail at 7.30am. It was still dark and cold but the path was easy to follow. We have entered vast open countryside with rolling hills. The Camino essentially follows dirt roads.
    We got to our first small village, hoping for a coffee and some breakfast, around 9am. It was like a ghost down. This was the general theme all day.
    We took a short break in a lovely small park the next village. I shared my almost stale rustic bread and chorizo with Cheng. We needed the carbs.
    The path crossed into pine forests where we saw evidence of tapping the trees for resin. There were lots of birds of prey in the sky.
    Just as we entered the last of five villages today, the heavens opened. We fast paced 3.5 kms our hostal for the night. By the time we got there, we were soaked to the skin and frozen to the bone.
    We managed to get a room for the night and a hearty lunch.
    Although, the trail was relatively flat, it felt hard. This is probably the culmination of two long days.
    Read more