Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day10 Penaflor De Hornija to Medina De R

    April 13 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Camino de Madrid

    Day 10 Penaflor De Hornija to Medina De Rioseco 25kms

    Penaflor is strangely located with huge gorges around it. As you approach and leave it, you think that it sits simply on the flat landscape. Unfortunately there is a very steep 100m descent and descent into the town. It must have been for defensive purposes.
    Leaving this morning, we had to repeat the same process. It certainly gets your heart going.
    As we settled into the trail today, we walked along open countryside teeming with wind turbines. They were an incredible sight.
    Today, the villages, we encountered, were pretty evenally spaced at 9kms apart. We managed to find a small bar for coffee.
    We carried on to the next village after a short rest. The trail was just a long walk on a gravel track. This is the time that you reflect internally or in case listen to a fantastic audio book called ‘The Lonesome Dove’.
    At the next village, we couldn’t find anything and almost walked on until an old lady shouted and pointed out where there was a bar. The building was so modern and seemed out of place in the village.
    We arrived in Medina De Rioseca at 1pm. The Albergue didn’t open until 2pm so we walked into town for a beer and get some food for the next few days. The town was buzzing and the bars busy.
    We went back to the Albergue to find it open. The hospilardo gave us a wonderful greeting. It is located in an old convent. It was used by Franco’s fascists as a prison of war camp in their Civil war. Admin completed.
    Read more