Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Day 11 Medina De Rioseca to Villalon

    April 14 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Medina De Rioseco to Villalon de Campos 29 kms

    The hospilardo at Santa Clara Albergue was a true peregrino. At 6.30am, he got up and made us coffee and made sure that we had breakfast and set us off with advice on today’s trail.
    We quickly walked through the town and walked along the Canal de Castilla. It provided an amazing change of scenery. The cabal is lined with poplar trees which burst into colour as the sun rose.
    We followed this for 8kms and at the end of the canal, we had only another 4 kms to Tamariz de Campos where we stopped for second breakfast by an old church.
    We then joined a dirt track across open country for 9kms to Cuenca De Campos. There was no shade and just an open vast landscape where you could see the silhouette of the town in the distance. No matter, how much you walked, you never seemed to get closer. When we eventually arrived, we were exhausted by the distance and heat. Thankfully, we found a bar open and another pilgrim, 73 years old, from Belgium.
    The temperature was now around 25C when we set off for the last 5.5 kms.
    We arrived around 1.15pm and went for drink in a bar before wearily making our way to the Albergue.
    The two hospilardos, retired Spanish Artillery Colonels, made our welcome so pleasant after a hard day on the trail.
    We quickly showered and went out for a meal in the only open restaurant in the town.
    We have spend the rest of the afternoon just chatting to them.
    Read more