Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Leon - Burgos

    June 12, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    The check-out time was at noon today, which gave us a few more hours to explore the old town of León after breakfast. We intended to visit the Museo Botines Gaudí and the Museum of Modern Art. However, the exhibitions were not what we had expected.

    The drive from León to Burgos on routes A-60 and A-231 was lovely. The sun was out, and the sky was slightly cloudy. The landscape was mostly flat, with many agricultural fields to the left and right as far as the eye could see.

    The hotel receptionist in León accommodated us in making reservations at their sister Hotel in Burgos, which was easy to find. It's in a good location and within walking distance of the old town center. The Camino de Santiago runs through Burgos, which has a population of about 180,000. It was founded in 884 and controlled by the Romans in the 11th century.

    The main attraction in Burgos is the Cathedral Santa Maria on the Plaza Rey Fernando. It is considered one of the most beautiful and the largest in the world. After a quick tapas lunch, I visited the Cathedral with Kurt while our ladies took a break in the nearby park.

    Construction of the basic Cathedral began in 1221 and was expanded over the next 200 years by different builders, and many artists influenced its style. It is the most massive Cathedral I have ever visited. The columns' size and the arches' height were terrific, as were the sculptures, golden ornaments, and wood carvings. See attached pictures.

    We plan to return to Plaza Rey Fernando tonight for a drink at a Vermouth Bar mentioned in our travel guide and dinner at a Pizza restaurant.
    Read more