Satellite
  • Day 623

    The grand Grand Canyon

    September 27, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    I haven’t been here since I was about 7, and man it is huge. Bigger than my memory for sure.

    Unlike most tourists to the Grand Canyon who come out for a 10-minute view, just long enough for a few photos, we decided to spend 3 days here. We had a fun day biking 21 miles along the South Rim. The views along the ride were amazing. But it was definitely tiring, with both of us barely awake at 8pm later that night.

    The third day we hiked a little ways down into the canyon on the South Kaibab Trail which goes all the way to the Colorado River. We only went a few miles and I felt the steep decline on my knees. It certainly made me both impressed by people who do Rim to Rim and not so disappointed we didn’t get to do it!

    This was now National Park #10 along our US journey and we sadly are getting a little tired of canyons. While some are very different from others, it seems a bit like going to Europe and how after a while all the beautiful, ornate castles just look the same.

    So we are taking a break from national parks and heading to Vegas for a few days. Crossfit, fun dinners, reading by the pool all on tap instead!
    Read more