Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Florence Day 1

    May 28, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Today we left Rome and headed to Florence. Our train left at 9:55am, and we were planning on catching a taxi to the station at about 9, but it turned out there was a bike ride in the city and many of the streets were blocked off, so no one was able to pick us up. So we had to do the 45 minute walk to the station with all our bags, and only just made it in time to jump on the train. We even lost a wheel on Tegan's suitcase early in the journey which made the trek even harder, but it was probably to be expected over all those cobblestone streets.

    We were incredibly sweaty by the time we arrived, but the train trip was pleasant and quick, particularly compared to all those hours spent at airports in recent times. We checked into our room in Florence straight away and then headed out for lunch at a local falafel place. It was beautiful, but Steve was still hungry after the arduous walk from the morning so we stopped at another cafe we were walking past for second lunch and a coffee.

    After a bit of a rest we did a Florence walking tour which we'd booked weeks ago. It was pretty good, but not as good as the tour we did in Athens. The lady was lovely but difficult to understand, though she did give us some good recommendations. After the tour we went to the market for a light dinner, then headed home for an early night.
    Read more