Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Ljubljana Day 3

    June 8, 2023 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today we had a tour taking us to the Skocjan Caves. We were picked up at 8:30am and what should have taken 1 hour and 30 mins only took 1 hour due to our driver preparing for the F1. It was great :)

    We arrived at the caves and thought our driver was the tour guide but the caves have a dedicated tour that’s starts on the hour. Our driver took us on a quick walk to see the valley we would be venturing into. It was stunning and steep. We didn’t realise how much walking there was going to be. We then went with a tour guide and due to the group being huge we were split into four groups of 30. Unfortunately we don’t have photos of the main caves as they have a strict no photo policy but it was incredible. There was one part of the cave that felt like it could be straight out of the lord of the rings or any fantasy movie. The river Reka runs through the mountain, and there is a pathway that runs along the outside wall that’s lit up. The cave with the river has flooded twice, once in 1950s 100m and 2019 60m all within a day. We were able to see the old tourist route from the 1950s that was destroyed, which was very cool. We also had to walk over a bridge that was 50m high above the water.

    At the end of our tour we had 2 options: walk straight back to our driver or take a longer way and see another cave that we could explore by ourselves. We took the longer way and it was stunning. We were completely surrounded by nature the scenery was beautiful. The incline was steep but we made it back to our driver just in time before it started to pour with rain.

    In Ljubljana everyone carries an umbrella as it can just start pouring with rain for 30mins to an hour. Lucky we bought an umbrella in Trieste.

    We made it back to our apartment and rested and went to go out for lunch but it was hailing for a moment and then heavy downpour. We walked half the way and were too wet to continue so we grabbed some snacks from the supermarket until the rain stopped and we could get a better meal. It finally stopped and we walked to Veganika. The food was delicious and so were the drinks.

    We walked through town to a beer shop that Steve was keen to go to and bought some beer. Tegan wanted to get a chai and we saw a place we thought made them but they only sold the powder so we went to sit along the river at a cafe to enjoy beer and chai. It was a beautiful afternoon wandering around the streets with the aftermath of the rain. We rested and got Chinese takeaway again and walked around the city centre. We could hear a concert and went to see that a school was having a music concert.

    We then got our favourite ice cream, which actually tastes like what it is. Tegan had the blueberry sorbet and chocolate and it was bloody amazing. We sat down and took in Ljubljana for the last time as tomorrow we are off to Salzburg.
    Read more