Satellite
  • Day 337

    Copenhagen - the final town

    December 3, 2015 in Denmark ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    So I've arrived into Copenhagen! My final town and country before heading back to London and then on to the big jet plane.

    I have had an amazing few days in Sweden with Claire and Terese and now I am really looking forward to cramming as much as Copenhagen as I can into my few short days.

    Visiting Sweden and Denmark have been two countries high on my list to visit since I arrived two years ago, but for whatever reason I just haven’t made it here yet. I really wanted to visit in the summer months. Those travel images of people cycling all over the country side really had me hooked. But alas, it wasn’t meant to be. And instead I am here at Christmas time, my favourite time of year!

    I pulled into the train station in the early afternoon and made my way through the rain, past Tivoli Gardens to my hostel. Cool fact we took the train over the bridge that the tv show The Bridge is based around! I shall have to watch it, I’m told it’a a great scandi show.

    Anyhoo, I’m starving, so I set off looking for somewhere to get a bite so I can begin exploring before the sun starts setting at 4pm. I found a cute little café that was American style (epic fail) but was still serving lunch, just around the corner from my hostel. I settled into the warm booths and enjoyed lunch, whilst pursuing my guidebook.

    With a full belly, I stretched my legs and got ready to go on an adventure. I walked wherever my gut said to go. I went up the main shopping street, past various Christmas markets, a Ferris wheel, shopping districts and old buildings. I walked around the famous Tivoli gardens, taking in the squeals of delight... I think.

    I crossed over to one of the islands to visit the national library. I was looking for an exhibition that had Hans Christians Anderson's works, but it had sadly shut. Instead I wandered around looking at other exhibitions and writing in my blog.

    As the evening wore on I went looking for a cocktail bar that Jane has told me about. It was called the Ruby bar. It had a cool 30s feel to it and I sat in the window watching the world outside over a few choice cocktails. It was nice.

    Copenhagen is known for its jazz and in the summer they have this great jazz festival along the canals. It sounds so wonderful and I would like to visit it one day.

    With such a following ensures that many great jazz bars are located around the town throughout the year. I chose to visit Charlie Scotts as they had a live band tonight. It was awesome! I sat back with a red and enjoyed the fantastic talents. At the end of their set and well into the night I headed back to my hostel.

    Day 1 in Copenhagen in is going well!

    Today marks two years since I left the sunny shores of Oz and headed to Europe in search of grand adventures. Today marks entrance into my 26th new and final country. What an adventure it has been.

    Charlie Scott's
    http://www.charliescotts.dk/

    Ruby
    https://rby.dk/

    Vist Copenhagen
    http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen-tourist
    Where I stayed
    Copenhagen Downtown Hostel - Vandkunsten 5, Copenhagen, Denmark
    I rated this place 3/5 - Clean, good location, young vibe, annoying nightclub downstairs
    Good points Was a good place, had a young vibe, right in the center of town, which was fab! 10 min walk to the train station Bed - comfortable Lockers - fit my small backpack in it,not large Room - was really hot in early Dec, I think there was a fan, but it wasn't used Bathroom - a few per floor Breakfast - 5euro there was cereal, meats, yoghurt, eggs Kitchen - good Reception - open 24 hours, can hire chargers / ipads from reception Heaters - too good! Haha Wifi - good Staff - friendly Location - right in the city, its perfect Alcohol - They have a bar Some things that didn't particularly resonate with me Lounge - there wasn't really anywhere just for the hostel guests. They have a big bar area that merges into the reception and lounge / kitchen area, plus a night club in the basement. It's all great, but this is shared with the public, there isn't anywhere just for guests. Also on the Saturday night they opened up the first floor toilets which were for hostel guests to the public, which meant that the rooms on the first floor was open to the public.
    Read more