Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Florence Day 2

    April 16, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Today is our 18 year wedding anniversary! It’s also Aunt Paiges birthday. She is in Italy as well. Tonight she is going to the opera!
    Gabe and I wanted to have a relaxing day without rushing. We started out the day at a cute shop who specialized in crepes, waffles, pancakes and bagels. I had an avocado bagel with “spreadable formaggio” it was good. Mostly because it was something different. We promised the kids we would all get on an E scooter and ride to this other part of town. It was about a 20 minute walk so the scooter defiantly helps. Since it was Sunday is was very crowded in town. we had to do lots of weaving between people walking. We wanted to go to one of the stores we like a lot called OVS. It’s a department store. They carry different brands. Renee needed to get a few things. Then we went to lunch at the Mercato Centrale. Which is a Food Hall. It was super busy but very good. We tried several different things.
    We bought some belts that Andrew and Gabe needed and then got back on our scooters and rode them back to our side of town. We dropped off our packages at the apartment and walked over to the Gucci Garden. It’s a bookstore, an exclusive boutique, a museum and where the Osteria is located. Once we arrived we found out that the museum was closed for renovation. Darn! Gelato time! We took the kids to the Lego store to get a couple of sets to build over the next week. Gabe and I went out to do some Anniversary shopping. We came back and fixed the kids dinner and got ready for our dinner at the Gucci Osteria de Massimo Botura. Recognize that name? Yes, we are going to another of his restaurants. The CEO of Gucci and Massimo went to school together for years. So Massimo agreed to be apart of the restaurant. The first one is in Florence, the 2nd in LA, 3rd in Hong Kong, and 4th is Seoul. ALL of them have 1 Michelin star. The space is very colorful and pretty. It’s much more casual environment than the one in Modena. I have been wanting to go to the one in LA for like 2 years. When I knew we were going to be in Florence I immediately went to look for a reservation. It’s one of the only things I had booked way in advance. The meal was 7 courses and there was only one really wow dish was the pasta. The rest were just good. Nothing like Osteria Francescana. The menu in LA is completely different. The chef in Florence is a female and she is from Mexico and her husband is Japanese. He was Massimo’s sous chef for many years. The experience was lovely and Gabe and I enjoyed our time together.

    **AP show UK the video.
    **Added in a few photos at the end of things from another day that wouldn’t fit.
    Read more