Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    London by bike

    July 6, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Our first day in London, and considering I woke first at 1.30am and thought it was 4am or later I haven't done too badly. I did get more sleep but it was all over the place.... Still, didn't feel too bad in the morning so munched thru breakfast when it arrived while trying again to get online Wimbeldon tickets with no luck so headed out from our apartment in Earls Court and caught the tube to Waterloo to join the half day bike tour of London that we had booked.
    The sun was shining brightly as we kitted up with our pushies and headed off. It was great to see that my bike had one of those big wide seats - something you can actually plant your butt on.
    A 30C day in London, couldn't believe our luck! Wonderful to be out and about.
    As usual it seems mandatory that people that can't rides bikes feel the need to learn whilst in another country by booking on a bike tour. This equates to entertainment and disaster. Interesting combination in traffic!
    I have to say cycling thru London in the traffic was certainly more disconcerting than cycling thru Paris or Florence. Felt as though there were moments of russian roulette and also saw two accidents.
    Whilst cycling around we saw the Houses of Parliamemt, Big Ben, MI5, MI6, Samual Johnsons house, Covent Garden (where I found time for a gelati), Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, Trafalgar Square and London Eye.
    We made it back to base late but unscathed and headed off on foot to walk thru Borough Market which is a very nice food market with lots of cheese, fresh meats (crocodile, kangaroo, wild boar, camel, zebra), fresh pasta, breads, cakes, fruit and veg, wines and more). Something for Vic Market to have a look, as its more like South Melbourne market.
    From here we walked over London Bridge to the Monument to the Great Fire of London. Phil decided to climb it when we got there, 311 steps each way and then we walked down along the Thames for a way towards Tower Bridge before walking back, finding a little pub for 'refreshments' near the river before battling the peak hour tube ride home.
    The day was finished off with dinner at a nice little Thai restaurant and a chat with local people on the table next to us.
    Walking home and almost at our apartment one of the Wimbeldon courtesy vehicles stopped and a player with a huge bag of racquets and companion walked into our apartment building right before us. Although the face looked familiar I can't think of his name.
    The night before another vehicle had also dropped a player further up the street so its nice to know they all want to stay near us!

    Phil- I woke at 3.30 am ready for a big day. First time I have had jet lag and now understand how people can be confused. The bike ride could have been a disaster and riders could have been hurt. Weaving between cars and going too fast, the guide had no idea how to run a good tour. The traffic is bad. The population has grown but the streets have not. This is what Melbourne will be like in 10 years. Proved my fitness level climbing to the top of the Monument. Mind you, I was stuffed when I got home.
    Read more