Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 9 - Drakensberg (Golden Gate)

    March 24, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Firstly, much appreciate all of you following us, your encouragement, comments, ideas and involvement, it feels like you’re all here with us. Miss and love you All!

    👍🏻🌺

    If we do get too much/too boring etc. please let us know!

    We left sunny Zululand (Richards Bay) early this morning and travelled the better part of the entire day. Connected with as many rural and back roads as we could. RB to Empangeni => Melmoth => Babanango => Nqutu => Over the ‘Blood River’ (bank to bank, in full spuit) => Dundee => Glencoe => Ladysmith => Harrismith and Golden Gate. Never been on most of these roads before!

    From Empangeni all the way to Babanango, you have never seen so much Sugar Cane and Blue Gum plantations, like ever! The rolling hills and the building thunderstorms above them, were truly stunning. We managed to skirt around these and as we stopped to pitch camp, down came the heavens soaking us to the bone. That all cleared the moment we completed erecting camp🥴 We left the Coast with a temp of 32* and right now we are Freezing at below 15* here in the Berg 😱🥶❄️

    Luckily some leftover Curry Mince from a night or two ago, has saved what would have been a very chilly night. This caravan has been an absolute star! Handles the roads well and is perfectly convenient for us both.

    Talking about dodging, we nearly even took a very wrong detour… we nearly ended up in Nkandla… true story. (See pics).

    Check out the beautiful setting sun on the cliffs here at the Golden Gate Caravan Park.
    Read more