Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 10/1 - Golden Gate

    March 25, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Yesterday evening ended with a downpour not easily forgotten! Wet and cold but inside our digs turned to be pleasantly warm all night.

    After a Cuppa-Jo we ran through the Golden Gate canyons! So I have been to the Drakensberg several times in my life but this time, not rushing to a destination has been particularly special. Taking note of all the dramatic Sandstone formations, colours and shapes that have hung in there for millions of years.

    How ashamed and embarrassed I am, after the best part of 60 years, only now am I awake to these wonders. These cliff faces are completely awesome, the Eastern Free State is a total opposite to the rest of the province. Ashamed that only 3 hours (maybe 4) is a wonderland that surely deserved better from me and even all of us. Now I know this circle of ‘Trampers’ are in fact pretty well traveled, certainly domestically but not to have spent days on end here, taking in such beauty must be a sin, certainly on my part.!

    Looking at all the photographs and in years to come when/if future generations see all these Electricity and Telkom poles, are they too going to be in awe? When they ask what is this horrible mess in front of all this beautiful scenery?
    And they will ask “What were they for?”
    And we will answer “For telephones and electricity”
    And they will ask “Did they work?”
    And we will answer “No”!
    And they will ask “Why then, did you make so many?”

    Now already, we really see how we have destroyed such a beautiful place…. or will it be even worse?
    Read more