Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Day 26 - “Hole in the Wall”/WildCoast

    April 10, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    "White Clay" never heard of it, or even this location, it is "Black Clay" and that is everywhere! Toenails constantly have a mascara ring on the outer edges😳 Okay, so there is soggy Black Clay water seeping in everywhere... and that is enough complaining!!!

    A small window in the weather opened up and we took a trip to The "Hole-in-the Wall" The road surface not unlike tracks before, partly tarred with patches of gravel and ankle to knee deep potholes, now full of water and mud, +-7ks from WC.

    Although cloudy overhead and very little sun, no rain. We had a beautiful walk down to the rocky 'beach' through a Coastal Forest directly to, in front of the 'Hole'. Not quite high tide but still with breakers crashing through. A walk up the left hill and cliff face, was an awesome view again of the whole world!

    As you can imagine, not all peaches and cream though. From when we parked, we were badgered by a teenage little Git, who insisted on being our Guide! FFS... one can see the HITW from kilometers away, and on arrival it is practically just over a dune away. On a foot path, now eroded several inches deep into the dune and lush grass, one can hardly miss it! This little do€s persisted walking in front of us apparently leading the way, until I lost it with him. After a few calls in English, eventually in his own mother-tongue a really asked him quite politely to 'fuck-off ' and leave us alone!!! Somehow my broken iSiXhosa had an affect and resonated, the little leach got the message and left. Obviously tagging out ahead so as to claim later that he had 'guided' us!😖

    On our return at around midday, Karen made us a delicious cheese and egg toasted sandwich, right out of the Top-drawer! After a cup of coffee we took an amble down to the WC beach, but as we arrived the wind picked up, accompanied by some light showers. Incredibly here on the Wild Coast, how fully grown-to-overweight cows graze right on the cliff-edge of a precipice, a couple of hundred meters above the crashing sea!

    I did say earlier "enough complaining!" so this is not complaining just as a good reporter should, tell the whole story.... the rough with the smooth! We have had so much rain, that the water-table has risen higher than the Mens Shower Outlet, creating a cesspool to stand in. I consoled myself that the black colour of this Dam is the clay mentioned earlier, I sincerely hope so! My alternative plan 'B' is to shower in the 'Ladies', where Karen says the tide us not as high!
    Read more