Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Day 73 - Vioolsdrift

    May 27, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Before going anywhere today, just to say thank you to everyone, for following us on this completely awesome 'Getaway'. So appreciate all your likes and comments, and you motivate us to continue, not just with the (ir)regular posts, but to just keep going, with the whole trip! Often had thoughts not even to come back and to just keep on 'choogling'!!! Truth is we both miss you all and can't wait to see you again! Back to the 'Big Smoke's'.... I'm not so sure😖😖😖

    Back now in semi/uncivilized/civilization on a Grape Farm on the Orange River and also the home of the 'Orange River Rafting Lodge' we awoke to the gentle sounds of another possible riot! Farmworkers going about their Friday chores!

    Before the farmhands and the villagers converge on the town, baring in mind that it's the last Friday of the month and before the 'Pap-Sakke' exit town from all angles, best we get down there and purchase, requirements!

    Planning a full on shopping list and dressed in my best 'bib'n tucker' and preparing to pound the pavements of Vioolsdrift... all we found was a little Indian trader and a few dusty groceries, 'Sell by or Best before' dates, dusted or even rusted over! The bottle store shelves were at least clean, with a single facing of each item! A pretty little lady was so enthusiastic about serving us from behind an expanded metal grid, with a slither of a gap only, for money to change hands. She, a little perplexed that I produced a card, which I had to pay at the grocer nextdoor. Other than that, absolutely nothing! Not a filling station nor even a PEP!

    In and out of the 'village' in less than a half-hour, we were back at camp.

    Get this? Whilst at the bottle store a Police car pulled up and pleasantries were exchanged. Having already paid for 'Road Tax' in Oranjamund last week, we thought we would ask this 'Border Policeman' what the protocols were in this regard and whether we could re-use the same permit? "No... but..."!!! He then proceeded to advise us how to 'jook' the system'😳

    If we told the Namibian Border Authorities that we were only going spend the night at a lodge called 'Felix Lodge' in Noordoewer, right on their side of the Border Gate, we only needed to pay R100.00 road tax instead of R350.00, should we advise them that we were going all the way to Ai/Ai's!!! Has Karen not learnt to shut her Mouth, at the appropriate time? Karen then lays into him about being 'skelem' and that HE should not be sharing that kind of info!!! And after all this, I am waiting with bated breath, to see which option she is going to choose, when it comes to paying the Namibian Road Tax?

    The rest of the day we spent oaffing in the campsite. Later a Dutch family, Mom, Dad two young sons (8 & 7) and a daughter of 11, pitched on the other side of the reed screen for the night. Had dinner together at the camp restaurant, for our weekly date night! They were tripping for 8 months, two of which only in RSA.

    Love, Peace and Light!
    M&K
    👍🌺
    Read more