Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    The Seige of Burgos

    October 8, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    In 1812 the British Army fought the French and lost in the "Siege of Burgos" which lasted about 3 weeks. Fighting as a Private in the 60th Foot Regiment, was William Anderson. William was the brother of my great great great great great great grandfather George Anderson. Today I walked some of the same trails that William walked to arrive in Burgos in 1812.

    The 60th Foot Regiment came into Burgos from the east and spent most of their weeks in attack from the east and south. They lived in tents and ate a lot of pork or beef and vegetable soup.

    William was later wounded with a shot in the shoulder from a musket ball at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. He later went to India with the British Army. He never married and died back in Scotland.

    The Siege of Burgos was part of the Peninsula War which was part of the Napoleonic Wars. The Spanish, Portuguese and English fought the invading French. This is considered one of the Spanish wars of independence.

    I had a lovely dinner of lentils, meatballs and banana custard in a 400 year-old stable under a 400 year-old house.
    Read more