Satellite
  • Day 27

    Was that an Earthquake?

    October 26, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Kyoto was, until 1869, the capital of Japan.

    We traveled via the JR train line from Osaka to Kyoto.
    Dumped the bags at the hotel and went on a trip advisor based wander.
    Found the "largest wooden building in the world". A huge shrine with massive turned down columns of wood. They could have made massive tall masts.
    Did a bit more Google time and found there was a 2000 person parade going on about 30 mins north. This consisted of dancing people, armoured warriors on horseback and geisha. We followed them to the Heian Shrine.
    After that, we joined some other Brits forming an orderly que outside a British pub. All keen to watch the rugby.
    We saw England beat the all blacks with 150 people rammed into a 40 person bar. Looks like not many bars were showing the match in this local area.
    On the way home went to the Kyoto tower to see the city from the sky. Not many high rise buildings, so you can see for miles, a few pretty illuminated castles on the hills surrounding the city.
    Got back to the room to absolutely not watch bake off...

    Suddenly the whole room felt like it had been nudged from the side. Sounded a bit like when someone heavy falls over upstairs and the ceiling shakes a bit, but with the whole room. Checked out online and yep, it was an earthquake. Got another one a small while later. Cool and weird to experience. Wouldn't want to be in one much bigger.
    Read more