Satellite
  • Day 64

    Raglan, start of North Island. NZ.

    December 2, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Off and on the road by 9am. Had to try and track down a camera shop as my camera got damaged by a wave. First one reccomended we discuss with Canon directly and luckily they were just down the road. Very nice man with a lord of the rings dwarf beard said he would give me a note for insurance. Whoop.
    Admin done we started driving south towards Bride Veil Falls. A lovely 50m high waterfall, surrounded by lush vegetation. Weirdly, all around this spot the whole area looks like the green grass land from The Shire.
    After that we hit the coast and came across a dirt road going north. I fancied going to Raglan to see if we could hire some surf boards. The dirt road felt like it was going to shake the camper apart. Glad to get off it without a wheel falling off. Views along the cliff were amazing. It's like Cornwall on steroids.
    Found a spot from the local council website that was marked as permitted for camping. Went to the tourist info to confirm it was ok, and she said it was absolutely not ok. She had a meeting with the council the next day, so was glad we highlighted it.
    With a little bit of light remaining we walked along the beach to a fish and chip place. 10 dollars for flounder and chips. Bargain. Never had it before, easy big bones and tasty.
    Back to a different (and confirmed as safe) free camping spot for the night.
    Read more