Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 256

    11. Lyme Regis

    June 24, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Lyme Regis - "the pearl of Dorset" - lies on Lyme Bay and is close to the border between Dorset and Devon; it is part of the Jurassic Coast and its beaches and Blue Lias cliffs are noted for fossils.

    We park at Woodmead Halls and a short stroll along the River Lym brings us to the Town Mill: this is a 1340 watermill and still works, thanks to being rescued by volunteers in the 1990s. We walk along the Marine Parade to Monmouth Beach and the East Cliff Beach for a cursory look for fossils. Next is The Cobb; this harbour wall dates originally from 1328 and is very famous due to John Fowles' "The French Lieutenant's Woman" - super views. We walk back along the parade to the "cultural quarter" comprising the Museum, Guildhall and Gun Cliff (home to the town's battery of defensive cannons from Elizabethan times).

    We pass St Michael's Church on our way to Broad Street, the heart of Lyme Regis with its many independent shops. We walk around the Langmoor and Lister Gardens; these are high up and there are great views of the Cobb from here. Then it is back via Sherborne Lane to the car park.
    Read more