Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 538

    12. Lyme Regis to Seaton

    April 2, 2022 in England ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    We walk along the seafront, past the Cobb, and up a very steep ascent to join the path along the Jurassic Coast. This takes us through the Undercliff National Nature Reserve, a 7 km wilderness area that contains rocks from the Triassic, Jurassic and Creataceous periods. The paths are difficult in places; it is like going back in time, seeing the ferns etc. There has been a lot of tree felling to manage Ash dieback. The thick forest means that there are only occasional views of the cliffs above and the sea below.

    This is a very active coastal area and there have been many landslips over the millenia that have shaped it. The most recent was in 1839 on Christmas Eve; a massive section of cliff slid seaward in an event known as the ‘Great Landslip’, causing a chasm to form behind the landslide block which is now known as Goat Island. We cross this and emerge onto fields and cross to a lane which leads to a path across a golf course. It is then a steep descent to the Axmouth Bridge over the River Ax and into Seaton.

    A very different experience to other parts of the Jurassic Coast walk.
    Read more