Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 540

    15a. Sidmouth; Town

    April 4, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    Sidmouth lies at the mouth of the River Sid in a valley between Salcombe Hill to the east and Peak Hill to the west, and is characterised by red-coloured rock cliffs; it is a gateway to the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site.

    Sidmouth was a fashionable and popular Regency and Victorian resort and still has many Period buildings and a mile-long Georgian Esplanade; there are two beaches - Sidmouth town beach to the east and Jacob's Ladder beach to the west.

    We walk along the beautiful Esplanade and then into town to see Sidmouth Market (a building) and walk along Old Fore Street before doubling back to the Parish Church; the museum is closed, unfortunately. We head down to the Esplanade and walk the rest of this and then up Clifton Terrace; there are three fine thatched houses here decorated in "cottage orne" style. We carry on up the hill to reach Connaught Gardens, Sidmouth's showpiece public gardens, overlooking Jacob's Ladder Beach; they are lovely and the so-called Clocktower cafe occupies a former lime kiln. There are excellent views to both west and east from up here.

    We then walk back the edge of town up Glen Road past the magnificent Royal Glen Hotel; this was a former residence of the Duke of Kent, the father of Queen Victoria. Then it is along Glen Goyle, a secluded area, and Bickwell Valley, an impressive collection of fine detached houses in large gardens, before walking back to our holiday rental.
    Read more