Satellite
  • Day 19

    Centro Historico Take 2

    December 31, 2019 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Other than in Thailand, it's always a challenge being in a faraway place over the holidays. We try to plan out our days, but inevitably the plans get thrown out the window as soon as we get started.

    This year was no exception. We set out this morning intending to revisit some of the sites we couldn't get to on Saturday because of the crowds. We had planned a lunch at Comedor Vegetariana, which is located just south of the old city.

    On our way, we got sidetracked by a boulevard lined with tech shops and spent a little time finding a new screen protector for Brenda's cell phone. By that time I was getting a little peckish so we decided to stop at the restaurant before starting our touring. But when we arrived at the restaurant, we found it to be closed. Brenda then suggested we go to Gopal, a vegan Indian restaurant, but it opened at 1:00 and we had some time to kill. We stopped in at a museum showing the works of local artists that was at times whimsical and at times impressive, particularly the carvings.

    From there, we went to Sears, not to shop but because of its strategic location across the street from the Palacio de Bellas Artes. The Sears café on the ninth floor made for a perfect photo op of the Palacio, by far the most beautiful building in the city.

    Then off we went to Gopal only to find it closed as well. We made a couple of phone calls and found that VEGuerrero would be open until 4:00. OK, it was almost 2 kms away, but we had to eat, and we really enjoyed their food the other day. We arrived hungry and altogether we ordered seven tacos, a torta (sandwich) and two beers for the princely sum of $14.00.

    With full and happy bellies, we walked the two kilometers back to the old city.

    We wrapped up our tour with a visit to the ruins of El Templo Mayor, the main temple of the Mexica peoples. The construction dates back to 1325 and was expanded in seven different phases over the next two centuries. In 1521 the temple was sacked by the Spaniards, Cortes ordered the destruction of the pyramids, and built a Mediterranean style settlement on the site.

    The Aztec architects designed such good foundations for their structures, the buildings erected on them are still standing straight while the surrounding properties not built on Aztec bases are all sinking into the ground.

    The photos below show just how much many of the buildings in the old city have shifted.

    By the time we made our way back to our hotel this New Year's eve, pretty much everything but the convenience stores had closed.

    But it's ok. We're well stocked with snacks and goodies with a bottle of bubbly sitting on ice as I write this.

    Let's see how our plans for New Years day pan out.

    Happy New Year!!!
    Read more