Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Caye Caulker III: Blue Hole

    October 2, 2022, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    After a day in the hammock (something didn't agree with my stomach, so yesterday we did nothing apart from a yoga session in the morning), today was gonna be the great day, i.e. the reason why Esther wanted to come to Belize: Dive the blue hole.
    The blue hole is a perfectly circular 300m wide, 130m deep underwater hole inside one of the atolls off the Belize coast - declared one of the world's best dive sites in the 1970s. Considering its fame, it was hard to find a tour operator to take us there, as it's apparently off-season right now. We set out at 6am for the two hour boat ride (it's 80km off shore) and jumped in. You go to the hole's sides, where you find impressive stalactites at a depth of 40m. Quite an alien landscape, fascinating to see, unfortunately too dark to take good pictures.
    However, we had two more reef dives in the atoll to follow. Once again a lot of corals and fish. Between dives, we had lunch on one of the islands - half moon caye, where we saw frigate birds and red footed boobies (Galapagos déjà-vu). All in all, a long, expensive but definitely worthy trip.
    Read more