Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Lamanai

    October 2, 2022 in Belize ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    We started early to catch the 6:30am boat back to the mainland. There, we got picked up by our guide to drive 1h up to the town of Orange Walk (yes, Belize towns have funny names, such as Indian Church, fire burn, shipyard, Honey camp). There, we got on a speed boat that would take us up the New River for 1.5h to the Mayan ruins of Lamanai, one of the prime archaeological sites in Belize.
    The ruins did not even come close to Tikal a few days before, but had some interesting face carvings. The highlight was the trip down the river with mangroves on both sides all along the ways, even spotted a baby crocodile, some birds, bats and fish.
    Back in Orange Walk, we caught a public bus to the Mexican border. From the nearest town, we then took a taxi to the actual border. The crossing was a little strange, as we had to walk through 1km of no man's land - apparently no one crosses late in the day without his own car. Also no ATM or exchange at the border. Luckily our hotel was in walking distance to the border, so we got us our first Mexican dinner and finally got to the hotel - which even had a pool. Bliss after a sweaty day.
    Read more