Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Oaxaca

    October 31, 2023 in Mexico

    📍Oaxaca, Mexico

    An *unbelieveable* experience for Day of the Dead over the last few days. They say Oaxaca is the best place to celebrate it in Mexico, so we (and what seemed like half of America) paid through the nose to stay here and tick it off our bucket lists. Health and safety regs were out the window with the sparklers into the audience from wooden structures, but the costumes and atmosphere were unbeatable!

    The festival is rooted in spirituality and gives Mexican people time to think of loved ones who have died and to call their souls back for a few days to remember them. They offer dead relatives and pets, tokens of things they liked, and guide them back with the brightly coloured marigold flowers that are literally all over the city. The tradition still exists, but for tourists, the celebration is about following parades down the streets and getting involved with all the open-air concerts they put on.

    Oaxaca itself seems really beautiful and colourful with the prettiest decorations all over. Everywhere you turn, you just want to take another picture. Even Adam has taken about 6 pics here!
    Read more