Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Bacalar

    November 19, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    📍Bacalar, Mexico

    🥇 - The medal awarded to Bacalar as the most beautiful place I've ever been in all my puff!

    Once a series of individual cenotes, it's now one big, crystal clear, turquoise lagoon. Bacalar is one of two places in the world to have stromalites in the water too. They're organisms which are three million years old and grow one millimetre each year! Only downside to the town is that they seem super focused on tourism, and you worry the ecosystem will take a hit in years to come. But until then, what a joy it is to swim in fresh water where you can always see the bottom and it's soft and muddy on your feet. Mmmm.

    We did a SUP tour at sunrise, which was quite different from the last time I did it in the Scottish Highlands. Obviously, I ended up at the back, and Adam was the sporty teacher's pet doing tricks at the front. Classic. There's now talk of buying his own paddleboard for the Union Canal... Save me now.

    That's us at just over 10 weeks in now. Adam's got 5 weeks left (I've got 7 😇), and it's really made us slow down and think about how grateful we are to be here, how quickly it's flown by, and that there's not much time left!
    Read more