Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Assos

    November 6, 2023 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    After visiting Apollo, God of mice, the road goes uphill at every village, and very fast down afterwards. So, we discover with tired legs the superb view on the site of Assos perched up high, 230 very steep meters above the sea. We are greeted by a statue of Aristotle who lived here (as well as in Lesbos). There follows a last effort to climb the paved street to the archaeological site before closure.

    The late afternoon view over the sea and the Island of Lesbos are our reward. Besides the remains of the temple of Athena we can admire a 14th century mosque, and byzantine walls, all with a characteristic construction using large stones interleaved with bricks. In the last 20 minutes before closure, we run down to admire a small outdoors theater facing the sea, and then run back up.

    We cycle down a paved road to a good hotel room and the quiet beauty of the harbour. Fishing boats turn in and clean up their nets. We learn how to water-spray cats and dogs to discourage them from jumping on our laps for dinner. One of them ends up having an impromptu swim after which he is much more polite.
    Read more