Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 219

    23.04 Day 219 . . . Big Pot Hunting

    April 23, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    After waking at 3am with a thumping headache . . . as a result of too much Leffe Blonde last night, I fell back to sleep and we both woke at about 8.30am and were treated to the sounds of the Cuckoo and the Hoopoe from over in the woods.
    We had decided to go to Civray during the morning to visit the market - which today was a brocante, not a locals one - more professional sellers antique fair.
    We arrived at Civray just before 11am and found a parking space over the river from the market square I. A fairly large car park.
    We started our walk around the market, taking in the weird and wonderful treasures to be found. We saw a fairly large metal pot which Tre suggested might make a good fire pit for the garden and so we asked a price. Far too expensive for what it was. We were now on Big Pot Hunt. We found another couple as we walked, both were neither quite big enough or the right price.
    It was then that we saw it, a bloody big and heavy iron pot with handles. After a short discussion with the seller and a 10€ price reduction we bought it. Only then did I worry about how we would get it into an already full Roxvanné. Add to that Tre and I had to carry it back through the market, across the river and to the car park. Anyhow after two stops on route we arrived at Rox and sorted the back contents enough that we could put the pot in . . . Bloody hell it’s heavy!!
    Back to the market we walked again before grabbing hot drinks in the small bar/cafe right next to the church.
    Although it had been sunshine when we left home it was overcast in Civray and getting windy.
    So after drinks we headed for Rox and drove home. On our arrival the weather was sunny and warm again.
    We decided to sit outside but after 10 minutes it had clouded over and started to rain a little. Within half an hour it was lashing it down. This rain came and went all afternoon.
    We decided to eat early and had the lamb and mint sausages from Sauze market.
    Due to the weather we sat to watch some TV and waited for Brighton v Manchester United FA Cup Semi Final to start.
    As we are an hour ahead, by the time the game had finished with a penalty shoot out it was well gone 8pm if not nearer 9pm.
    A bit more TV and some social messages to some friends finished the day and we toddled off to bed.
    Something else bought for the Chenay House - 3 more sleeps!
    Read more