Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Tierawoomba Station

    June 4, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Today was a nostalgic trip for Duncan. When he was a fighting fit young man he left Melbourne to begin life on the land as a Jackaroo at Tierawoomba Station. The then owner Brian Hughes was in the army with Wal Grant, Duncan's dad. Duncan not too sure how the job came about but obviously with a connection through these two. He arrived as a young eager nineteen year old, keen to fit in. He holds fond memories of cattle, horses, over indulging in alcohol with fellow stockman near Funnel Creek and in Sarina , where he assured his workmates he would run the horses in next morning and then passed out ,subsequently bundled into a Ute for the trip home !!!
    . He can also recalled the challenge between man and beast as he attempted to ride a bull at the Nebo rodeo.
    Today Tierawoomba Station is close to a billion dollar enterprise which is still held in the Hughes name, decendants of Sir Brian Hughes who was subequently knighted .
    Pics: Nebo Heritage listed ( 1862 ) hotel, Funnel Creek, Signage to main homestead entrance, Duncan standing on entrance road, crop of sorghum and unusual landform we passed on route.
    Read more