Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 63

    Dakar, Senegal - The Drive

    18 mars 2023, Sénégal ⋅ 🌙 68 °F

    We spent an entire day on tour in the capital, Dakar and it was quite an emotional day. On the drive to Pink Lake we went through the city at a very slow pace, no street lights or for that matter signage, often on a dirt road, behind horses and carts, and often goats. This adventure, looked like the biggest bizare you have ever seen (see photos) with everyone lining the streets selling their wares which all seemed to be broken or old and used clothing and goods. These goods mostly come from the UK as items that were ready to be discarded.

    Many of us took photos from the bus and what was most interesting was the reaction from the hundreds that lined the streets. Some were trying to sell us goods through the window, others were happy to see us and waved and cheered (mostly the youngsters), others were not so happy to see us (as you can see on some of their faces). The best we could tell is that some of the old-timers did not like being starred at as if they were an attraction or were blaming the current slow status on progress due to the lack of enough support by the US. Most people were happy to see us and understand that US money through tourism makes a big difference to their economy. Tourism growth due to infrastructure and lack of any “official” tour guides (not like our favorite certified guide in NY) is slow here so I understand their apprehension.

    Note: Although we got a strong feel for the area but did not get to visit Goree Island like some of our friends who told us about the House of Slaves where slaves were held (over 350 years) as they were waiting to be sold and shipped to the New World . Also very sad and sickening.

    Also, on your list should be the Museum of Black Civilization, a $30M museum that opened in 2019 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/arts/design/…
    En savoir plus