Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 126

    I cant believe I saw Pompeii!

    July 25, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 90 °F

    Miles: 8.3 Steps: 18937
    Flights stairs: 10

    I remember learning all about Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius in grade school - seeing pics of the “frozen people” that had gotten caught in the volcanic eruption. And today, decades later, I found myself at the foot of Mt Vesuvius walking the streets of Pompeii! This trip is unreal.

    We braved the intense heat and took a day trip, about 45 min south, to Pompeii and walked through the archeological site. Fascinating seeing the remains of the village, the whole time with the mountain looming in the background. The famous eruption that buried the village in 17ft of ash took place in 79 AD. It happened in the morning, when most were still asleep. The last time it erupted was 1944, but it was fairly minor - it is still active today, and they feel the next eruption will likely be as deadly as the first.

    Seeing the plaster casts of the villagers was really sad - to see that it hit so fast they literally were killed and then preserved in the exact state they were in. It was an amazing visit.

    After, we headed to a local winery/vineyard for a tour, tasting and lunch. It was located in the national park and was even closer to the mountain. Great view and great experience!
    Read more