Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 127

    Last day in Naples

    July 26, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    Miles: 7.4 Steps: 17154
    Flights stairs: 21

    Our last day in Naples … we took another tour of the underground, but this time not catacombs. We saw Greek & Roman tunnels, acqueducts and tunnels that were eventually used as WW2 bunkers. pretty fascinating. The highlight was probably squeezing thru a 50cm wide tunnel for about 5-7 min, or more like a slit between two cave walls, to get from one area to another. Had to work at not panicking, but it was definitely stressful, but exciting and fun at the same time.

    Then we walked down to the waterfront and saw two more castles as well as the main square in town, which also housed the palace. Chose to just see all these things from the outside and walked along the waterfront for 30 min or so.

    Clearly have seen the difference between the tourist/wealthy areas and where the masses live. We are staying between the two so get a good glimpse of both. Where the people are living is very dirty, trash stacked up everywhere and not taken care of very well. The tourist area is beautiful, well maintained and zero trash in the streets. It’s a shocking difference between the two areas.

    It’s been so hot here - I literally don’t know if I’ve sweat this much in my entire life. Jordan isn’t near as bad as me - she doesn’t seem to have inherited the family propensity to sweat like a pig. (My dad, brother, sister and Adam all understand what I’m talking about - we just really sweat, sometimes when others wouldn’t - fun. 😃). It was 90° but with really high humidity so justified, but dang! At times I was literally drenched in sweat. So glad we have air conditioning here.
    Read more