Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 215

    Time to move on

    October 22, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 84 °F

    Yesterday was our last day on Bali. We took care of errands and such -“enjoyed” one last day in the pouring rain. Boy can it rain here. Puts both Oregon and South Carolina to shame. After two solid weeks hanging in Bali, it’s time to move on.

    This morning we got up early and took an hour long “taxi” to the coast to catch a “fast boat” to the Gili Islands. (Taxi is just a guy on the street who offers to drive people places). We made it to Gili Meno - the tiniest island of the three Gili Islands (Gili Trawanga and Gili air).

    There was no dock that was big enough to handle the boat we arrived on, so a small boat came out to get us and our bags. It really wasn’t even a boat - just a platform with some benches and an engine attached. Really interesting.

    There are no motorized vehicles allowed on Gili Meno. Only horse drawn carriages pulled by small horses used as taxis. We decided to forgo using the poorly treated horses and made the 25 min walk from one corner of the island to the other to our hotel. The intense heat and humidity made it harder than it should have been. 😰

    This is a beautiful island, peaceful and serene like nothing we’ve seen before on this trip. We’re staying 4 days, with the sole purpose of scuba diving! I haven’t been since I completed my training in Egypt so very excited to get back in the water.

    There was the most spectacular sunset tonight. The islands are VERY close to each other so the sunset over Gili T with the mountains of Bali in the background. Unbelievable!

    2.5 miles
    Read more