Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Kangaroos & Koala’s!!!

    September 24, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    Jordan and I had the best day yesterday! We rented a car and took off south east from Melbourne to Arthur Phillip Island. It should have only been a couple hour drive, that turned into about a four hour drive. There was a steep learning curve for me as I tried to master the art of driving on the left side of the road from the right side of the car - much easier said than done. So far so good tho. No accidents, not even a near miss.

    We went to a Koala conservation reserve and then to a wildlife park. Not too many koalas at the reserve, but a few cuties. There were tons of native wildlife at the park and an area where the kangaroos and emus were free roaming. We were able to walk amongst them, feed and pet them. VERY cool.

    Then we headed to the west end of the island to watch the “penguin parade”. This was amazing! The smallest penguins in the world live here - hundreds go out to sea every day and then at sunset come in to return to their burrows after 1-3 days of fishing. We sat on the beach and watched the penguins emerge from the ocean and make their way up the beach and into the grasslands. Cautiously at first, and then they would sprint to the grass. Very cute, and a neat experience. They are very shy and skittish so we had to remain very quiet (hundreds of us) and no pics were allowed because of their sensitive eyes (afraid of possible flash being left on). So we didn’t get any pics of it, but they did let us download a number of professional photos of the them which I’ll post. It was adorable.

    5.36 miles
    Read more