Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Vienna - Bratislava - Mosonmagyarovar

    May 23, 2016 in Hungary ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Hot - up to 30'C this p.m with a headwind all day. Like being blow dried.

    Good directions got me out of Vienna without mishaps and I enjoyed the spiral descent off the Donau bridge (pic 1), memories of the velodrome. A couple of hours spent cycling through the Donau-Auen national park; I didn't see much of the 100 types of bird but did see heron, lizards, butterflies and dragonflies, and heard frogs.

    A couple of hours spent in Slovakia - lack of route signs, a bit tatty, but the waitresses at lunch were nice and spoke English. Road sign before hungarian border peppered with bullet holes (pic 2).

    Hungary - first impressions: quite smart, good cycle route markings and cycle paths, smells nice.

    Arrived in Mosonmagyarovar in time for the tourist office to find me a Pension - smart and friendly. Looks mostly tidy (pic 3) but some neglect, e.g. holes dug in middle of Cycle path not filled in (pic 4) - avoided by local cyclists and motorists alike.

    Mosonmagyarovar Is home to 350 practising dentists and from a walk around town seems good for: dental work, beauty treatments and products, massage, spa baths and hair care.
    Read more