Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Sweet Swindon

    September 21, 2016 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We set off from Oxford to the Cotswolds with Brad and Lynn at 12pm after a morning of dealing with administrative fun. When you move to the UK setting up a bank account is an absolute nightmare and involves a circular conversation about needing a proof of address to set up an account which you cant get because you don't have a bank account to pay your rent, or get paid from your job for that matter. Computer says no, no, no is the way of the UK. Anyway, after we prepared ourselves for bank battle, turns out that closing the accounts is so much more simple and we had ample free time to sample the coffee offerings of the local neighbourhood. It seems bizarre that the banks don't seem to want you're money when you get here and then don't fight for your money and try and stop you leaving . I expected to be fought for NatWest, my self worth has been destroyed and I am crushed.

    After Jamie assured me that it was the Bank and not me, we picked up Brad and Lynn, and made our way to our first stop of the day Stow-on-the-Wold which has the cutest little coffee shop in all of the Cotswolds - The New England Coffee House. After a caffeine injection and good conversation, we drove through Bourton on the Water (an elderly paradise according to Brad) and continued south through single lane country roads towards our accomodation for the night at Stanton House just outside of Swindon. A beautiful stone hotel with large lavish grounds and gardens.

    We arrived, settled into our room and went and enjoyed a high tea out in the back garden complete with egg sandwiches (or as the Scottish call them - pieces), scones with cream and jam and a selection of carrot, chocolate and fruit cakes (yuk!). On completion of the sugar gauntlet, we worked 1/10th of it off by doing a short walk around the local fish pond, complete with Canadian Geese which Lynnie was super excited about. After meeting the friendliest dog in the world and a few horses and discussing our ideas for new Mills and Boon Novels which focused on a rugby love triangle between a prop, a lock and a hooker we made our way back to our room for a few drinks and nibbles.

    A few drinks later and we headed to the hotel restaurant which offered both Japanese and European cuisine. To our surprise the food was absolutely devine and I had one of the best Aubergine (none of this Eggplant stuff, we are posh English people now) dishes I have ever had. We stayed until closing time talking about our childhoods, school life and how horrible other kids could be. A really fun day spending time with our family and wishing it didn't have to end tomorrow with our last night in the UK.
    Read more