Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Helsinki - the First Full Day

    September 26, 2016 in Finland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    This morning started late by our standards, and we didn't get out of the hotel until about 1100, after a run around Central Helsinki. Teemu was lazy, and decided to stay in the room, staring out the window, in a clueless daze.

    We on the other hand, went on a walking tour of downtown Helsinki. The first stop, was the western coast of the downtown peninsula. There was a large sculpture, mobbed by bus-loads of tourists. We have no idea what it was supposed to be, and you won't find a photo of it below.

    What you will find, is a photo of the little cafe that we stopped at along the waterfront for a coffee. This cafe was one of the few cafes/restaurants along the waterfront of Helsinki, and Finland in general, that was still open, despite the fact that it is not currently the height of summer. Also, though Finland is a coffee drinking country, it doesn't necessarily partake of the same sort of coffee culture we are used to, from the Antipodes. In many places, your choice of coffee, is take it or leave it. There are no baristas, just filter coffee, which is tasty, but not as good as a proper, barista made coffee.

    The next stop on our walking tour was the waterfront near the Hielalahden tori market. It was a Monday, and the market, which did look to have a lot of tasty looking street food stalls (~10EUR for a meal), was pretty dead. The only excitement, if you want to call it that, was a man getting hauled off by the police and loaded into the back of a police wagon. It was very quiet and orderly. As civilised an arrest as I can imagine.

    Further round the waterfront, we happened on the docks, and a forest of cranes. It was good to see that docks, and the cranes, were still in use, building and repairing ships. Carrying on around the waterfront we passed Finnish body builders swimming in the sea, many marinas, and many kiosks offering 4EUR per scoop of ice-cream. Safe to say that Finland is not the most easily affordable travel destination, but we knew that before we arrived.

    After the journey around the waterfront, it was time to get up above the city. This was achieved through a trip to Ateljee Bar. It is at the top of a 14 storey tower in the middle of downtown Helsinki. It isn't the tallest tower in the world, but Helsinki is a particularly tall city, so the bar has a commanding 360 degree view of the city. It is rather beautiful, and can be yours for the purchase of anything from the bar. We had cocktails and more importantly Courtney had her first Mojito of the trip and rated it 3.5 out of 5 stars. An espresso will set you back 5EUR, a beer 10EUR, and a cocktail 12EUR - give or take.

    Then it was time for an early dinner at Harald's. For the uninitiated, this a Viking themed chain-restaurant, complete with waiters/waitressed dressed as Vikings, and a menagerie of dead reindeers hanging from the walls. You can even get yourself a plastic viking helmet to wear as you enjoy your meal. If the thought of eating at a themed restaurant has you running, screaming to the hills, think again. Once you move passed the themed nature of the restaurant, the food was absolutely delicious. The restaurants are built for large groups, and the atmosphere would be awesome on a crowded Friday or Saturday night, but unfortunately, Mondays are not a busy night, and the place was a pretty cavernous venue to host six parties totalling about 20 people. The place could probably seat closer to 300.

    And that was the day. We repaired to the hotel room, to have a night-cap. Me, half a litre of stale beer left over from my 1L can yesterday; Courtney, half a can of stale cider left over from yesterday.

    Goodnight folks.
    Read more