Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    The Story of Morrie the Marooner

    November 6, 2016 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    After a few days of waking up to the rain pelting down on our window, it was a surprise to only be woken by Jamie's heavy breathing. I looked outside window to confirm that in fact my dream had come true, that I was going to get a beach day after all. Unfortunately, the day wasn't filled with pristine sun, with dark clouds still rolling in over the horizon but unlike days past, there were glimmers of sun popping through the clouds and this was enough for me to get my bikini ready to hit the sand.

    After a quick and unfulfilling buffet breakfast which we are quickly getting over, we made our way down to the beach to grab a couple of deck chairs to try and gain a little more of a tan. As the rain and heavy winds had now stopped, operation float Morrie the boat was now in progress (marooned boat from our post two days ago) which comprised a large group of locals equipped with diggers of various sizes whose job it was to dig the boat out while the coastguard sat and waited for the perfect moment to pull it out using a rope tied around the entire boat. The boat isn't actually named Morrie, but I was talking to Teemu last night and he suggested it would be a good name. Anyway, the entire operation drew a crowd of locals and tourists who had obviously not been lectured in the essentials of digger safety and proceeded to stand in and around the vicinity of the diggers while they twisted and turned. Someone was lucky not to get their head knocked off. From the comforts of our deck chairs we had front row seats and watched on for 3 or so hours while various failed attempts were made to pull the ship into the water. During this time, we were also accousted by a large number of hawkers who were trying to sell all sorts including fruit, paintings, seafood and english novels. I pretended to be asleep so most of them approached Jamie. That in itself was hilarious to listen to, as if they had any hope of selling anything to a stingy accountant 😉!

    After a few hours of this, we were getting over being solicited on the beach so we decided to make our way back to the hotel for a workout and a swim in the Infinity Pool. We headed to the hotel gym where it was the temperature of a Sauna. I proceeded to kill Jamie by getting him to complete a bikram HIIT workout. I felt a bit bad afterwards when he was close to heat stroke and I offered to go and buy him juice but being a stubborn arse he refused.

    We made our way quickly to the infinity pool so Jamie could cool down and enjoyed the incredible views while I carried Jamie round the pool like a big baby.

    It has been pretty chilled while we have been in Nha Trang, partly by necessity, partly by plan. Tomorrow (Jamie's birthday eve) we head to Saigon where things will be full on once more.
    Read more