Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Matasinhos to Vila do Condo

    May 21, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Up and early today. Today was "The Day" 22 km on my own, on a prayer and a wish, with much good will in my heart I stepped out. Leaving the familiar room of the last 3 days was scary. Hmmm.......... . The pack was full, but not too heavy on the back. As it was going to be a long day I was caught wanting to pack for every eventuality in to my day pack, My main luggage was being transferred. It is very well organised these days. I often think I would have loved to live in the 1800s but living in today’s world has it’s plus points huh.

    The photos speak of the walk today. The white sandy beaches are endless. The walk , was great, 98% of the journey is on walkways built over the sand. I am glad to be alive and well.

    My plan is to keep to 4 km an hour, and also have rest periods each hour. That worked out fine for the first hour. I needed to attend to a toe that had been playing up. ( ie just needed to put a sticky tape, no blood and gory yet). But more importantly I needed to find a toilet. Well that was going to be hard at 8.00 in the morning. Along the coast once I left the residential and commercial area it is all high rise apartments. There was the familiar golden archers of Mc Donald's, but they were not opened. Just as I was leaving they opened. So great timing Mrs James. In NZ I am in the habit of scouring public toilets from 1 to 10. I smiled to myself Colin would have sure asked what the score was if he was with me.

    But I walked an extra 3 km on top of the 22 as I had to keep drinking water, but then it also meant I had to find toilets. Rather than contemplating or meditating, my reflections were of how and where is the next toilet was going to be.😂

    One time I was tired and there were little fish that were no longer than 3 inches but rather than swimming they just shoot from the bottom and jump and get the food, and then go down and just stay vertical. It was mesmerising to watch. I stopped to look, sat down on the walkway gave my legs a break by leaning my legs on a walkway post that was good to get the blood going the other way. That was a yoga posture. See learning comes in handy.

    Into the accommodation at 2.00pm. The relief of a hot shower. Legs were hurting and getting stiff. Up goes the legs on the wall, Hot water bottle on the legs, 2 hours later good as gold, no aches no pain, no stiffness. Went for a walk round the block. Other Camino travellers were coming in to the city looking tired, stressed and tired😀 and I felt good, that I had got in early, and had a rest already. In the middle of the night , the sole of the foot was hurting. Applied some cream, and this morning good as gold.

    Whether wise the day was breezy, a bit cold, needed my jacket on for most of the day.

    It is 4.30 in the morning, everyone is sleeping and I am writing my travel journal.
    Read more