Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Tongariro Alpine crossing

    April 15 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    Spend the night in a hostel thinking i had to be fresh for the hike. Small wooden sleep pods that worked reallt well in general cutting sounds and lights from the mixed dorm room.
    Started driving in a hurry but i made sure to get time to buy two pies, a bun and a coffee (...thought it was expensive at the time).
    Reached the finish of the trek with the car and from there it was arranged to get a shuttle to the start of the Tongariro Alpine crossing so it wouldnt be any waiting after i was done.
    The day looked very promising excactly as the forecast from the day before. Shuttle time was about 30min and the driver tried to sqeeze in some local Maori stories and legends during the drive. Cool guy with veeeeery NZ accent!
    Started the hike and it feels amazing! The scenery even from the car looked out of this world. It is my first ever volcano sight. And straight away i was thinking Smigol and the fellowship!!! 😁
    The active crater that stars the movie, the red crater, the caldera,the blue lakes.l, the the the...so many features in one go!
    The hike itself was not that hard...the shuttle driver said the record was 1hour 25min! Prob Killian J.
    It took roughly 6 hours with pie eating and a ton load of images. Prob overexcited about the place!
    Aftrr finishing relatively early decided to continue south to Wellington and call it for the north island road tripping. Need some rest and there will be only one full day to explore Wellington so better make it worth it!
    Read more