Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Hairydogs Fishing Camp

    June 26, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    We were on our way to Kununurra when we decided to take the gravel road towards Parry Creek. It still gets you to Kununurra, but is more scenic than the main rd. We stopped at the Mambi Island boat ramp for a look. It's just a muddy dusty spot where you can launch a boat on the lower Ord River. We saw a huge salt water croc basking on the other side of the river. It looked like a log until we got out the binoculars. After a few minutes looking around we continued on our way. Very soon after that we saw the vehicle of our friends Bluey and Theresa parked inside the fence line of the property we were just passing. Dave said it must be that fishing camp we read about - lets go in and see them. So we pulled in at the gate to see a sign saying "Greg Harmans Barra Fishing - Ultimate Adventures"
    I said to Dave I know this guy, our fathers were work colleagues and great mates back in the day. I haven't seen him since I was a teenager but I'll bet he knows who I am. Greg was out playing golf when we arrived but came looking for us after being told by his wife that there is a "Heales" in the camp.
    Everyone calls Greg "Hairy" and the place is also known as "Hairydogs Fishing Camp".
    Hairy took us for a boat ride down the Ord so we got to see lots of big and small "salties" lying on the banks sun baking. He brought the boat in close to some so they would get up and move into the water in order for me to catch them on video. There is wild couch grass growing on the banks down stream so we stopped to harvest grass runners for the camp grounds.
    Bluey had booked a "Barra Fishing Full Day Tour" so that is why they were here in the first place. Two boats went out with paying tourists and they came back with a "Barra" for everyone. We were given some very large fillets and will be having fresh Barramundi for dinner tonight. Very spoilt!!!!!

    We stayed two days and spent time catching up on family news and old times. It was brilliant and totally unplanned.
    Once again we have no reception so will upload when get to Kununurra.
    Read more