Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Finding Family

    October 15, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    With 'drowned' (poached) eggs in our bellies we waited for the transfer to our next bus. A minibus took us and some other tourists to the bus station where we waited and changed to another type of sleeper bus. This one was a bit posher; it had padded recliner seat/beds and we got a space each on the front top bunks. There was a little confusion about where we were being dropped off (as the next hotel was not quite en route) so we had to shown them where our big bags were, ready for a quick drop off. Two hours and two very full bladders later we were dropped off on the side of the main road with little civilisation in view.
    We grabbed our bags, and crossed the road in search of a taxi (and a toilet). We thought we were in luck as we found what looked like a café, but unfortunately it closed, maybe even abandoned. David took the opportunity to relieve himself in the outside "toilet". We then came across a car garage and someone there kindly called a taxi for us. We were soon arrived at the Banyan Hotel and were greeted by David's parents (and a lot of staff). After some hellos to all, tea and cold towels we were shown to our room
    The resort is beautiful, we have our own villa room with private pool looking over the lagoon. The villa host showed us around our room in great detail before allowing us to settle in. We showered and changed before catching back up with Leila and Daniel for lunch. We had a very local-inspired meal of pizza on the beach.
    In the afternoon, we hid from the rain and clouds in the villas and even had some complementary afternoon tea (local style) with Vietnamese tea, fish dumplings and fried bananas. We met again in the evening for cocktails and wine during happy hour in the bar before dinner in the "Waterfront" restaurant.
    Read more