Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Leaving Podgorica on another road trip

    October 30, 2017 in Montenegro ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    We started our day with a few car problems- although the agency didn’t seem to think that an airbag warning light and a broken seat belt were problems... “no problem, no problem my friend. In Montenegro normal normal, no problem!”. Thankfully we managed to get another car and only lost an hour of our time.

    The journey was beautiful. We passed a big lake and headed straight to the coast. When we got there we were amazed at how crystal clear the sea is! So inviting to jump in if it wasn’t so cold. We continued our drive to Sveti Stefan - a tiny island that is filled with old brick houses. It was very pretty- and surrounded by turquoise waters. Stéphane braved the cold and jumped in for a swim - I got as far as my ankles. We went for a little walk around and had a picnic on the beach with the stunning views.

    We continued our journey to Kotor, via the windy mountain roads. Such incredible views of Kotor from the road! I think a car hire is a must if you’re visiting here, and the driving isn’t too crazy either (especially compared to Albania!) So we arrived in Kotor just after sunset and it was such a beautiful little town! Jaw dropping first impressions. We are staying in an amazing hostel (hostel pupa) just on the harbour for only €8 a night per person. (And that was paying a bit more for a 4 bed dorm- I think it was only €6 for a 10 bed which is quite good for here.) We are just on the doorstep of the old town so we went for a wander. It’s another world! You feel like you are walking through a movie set. It’s a UNESCO listed town and you can tell that its been taken care of. Everywhere you looked there was something to see- so many hidden lanes and a restaurant, bar or souvenir shop on every corner. Old churches and museums were scattered about too with an incredible amount of cats everywhere! They looked healthy and well fed though and we later found a shopkeeper dedicated to feeding them which was good to see. For dinner, there was plenty choice! We chose a nice little place to sit outside with heat lamps, blankets and a man playing saxophone. Bliss. And to top it off we had a little kitten visitor and a friendly dog. I was in my element!
    Read more