Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Blue Mountains

    July 24, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 54 °F

    After flying for over 14 hours to Sydney, we weren’t sure if we were crazy to go straight onto a 2-hour train ride for a day and a half of hiking in the Blue Mountains. Turns out it was the perfect plan. We had gotten some sleep on the flight and upon arriving in the crisp clear air of this World Heritage-designated area we were refreshed!

    The topography of the Blue Mountains is kind of like the Grand Canyon with a forested valley below. The dramatically featured sandstone walls and rock formations were also reminiscent of the cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde or the red-rock areas in Utah. The ‘blue’ comes from the sunlight refracting through the oils of the eucalyptus forest.

    We hiked up and down steps carved in the rock, past small cascades and larger waterfalls (not Oregon-sized waterfalls), and got our breath back as we traversed the relatively level paths on the rim of the valley.

    Our B&B for the night is perched at the edge of the escarpment, with gorgeous sunrise-colored cliffs on view upon waking.
    The bird-song was heavenly, although actual bird sightings were somewhat elusive. We did see many Crested Cockatoos and some red and green ‘Crimson Rosella’ birds.

    Speaking of red and green, it’s “Christmas in July” here. Holiday songs, Christmas tres and Noel feasts are on the menu.
    Read more