Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Ribbon Reef #3 & Escape Reef

    August 15, 2019 ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    This was a great day—Darryl was well enough to dive, and the three of us got to dive on our own with Robbie. At Ribbon Reef #3, we entered the water from the ship, rather than the beach, so entry was easier and we were immediately in clear water, instead of murky sandy water. The ship has an ‘elevator’ platform for us to ride down to water level from the deck. The crew help us with our gear, which can be heavy, and gives everyone assurance we are hooked up properly.

    Ribbon Reef #3 is a bommie, which means it is kind of a pillar of coral surrounded by sand (an oasis in the desert for marine life). We found a ‘Nemo’ among the anemone, more giant clams, and saw lots of parrot fish and fabulous coral formations.

    The afternoon dive at Escape Reef was another boat dive, with just we three (always with Robbie). Escape Reef has finger-like protrusions of reef, allowing for some very protected areas and slightly warmer water in some sections. More great sea life and colorful coral! We are much more comfortable with diving now, and can focus more on our surroundings than on our gear. Sande is having a great time snorkeling, and we usually go out for a snorkel after diving. The light is better at the top, so colors are more true, but with diving you can get closer to things of interest. The first few photos are taken from a dive website for our reefs, since we don’t have a chance to get such good lighting.

    We’ve been enjoying the company of a South Island New Zealand couple in their 70s, and we teamed up with them for the after-dinner trivia quiz. Lots of questions about the plant and sea life, and Captain Cook—things that Dani has been teaching us along the way. We didn’t win, but made a good showing.
    Read more