Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Nitmiluk National Park (Katherine Gorge)

    August 25, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 86 °F

    Yesterday, we said farewell to Kakadu National Park with a hike and swim in a croc-free ‘plunge pool’ at the base of a waterfall. Then it was a few hours driving to Katherine Gorge (aboriginal name, Nitmiluk National Park).

    The Katherine River runs through the park as a series of gorges (13 in all), broken up by rock portage points. So, in the morning, we met the boat which took us through the first river gorge (with many freshwater crocodiles) to access the gorges suitable for kayaking (not as many crocs).

    We learned that ‘freshies’ don’t see people as food, since the narrow shape of their jaw and brittleness of their teeth require them to swallow food whole. That doesn’t mean they won’t nip (or worse) if threatened. ‘Salties,’ on the other hand, will actively hunt humans, and have been known to learn repetitive behavior, like fishermen who come to the same spot around the same time.

    Anyway, we had a beautiful 3-hour kayak through 2 gorges—requiring a short, but tricky portage over a rocky section to the next gorge.

    As we were driving back to our Airbnb, we decided to stop at a roadside art gallery. What a treat! They had nice art, but more fun for us this time were the friendly wallabies out on the lawn! The proprietor gave us some slices of yam to feed them, and they kept coming up to us like friendly dogs. One had a joey in her pouch!

    Another fun thing we saw later that day was a Bowerbird structure. If you haven’t read about these birds, look them up!
    Read more