Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Edith Falls Hike and Swim

    August 26, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 88 °F

    Another travel day where we broke up the drive with a stop for a hike and swim. At a ranger’s suggestion, we went to Edith Falls, which was on our way out anyway. It was a short 2.5 mile hike along a rocky gorge, ending in a picturesque waterfall and swimming hole. We had the place to ourselves for about 5 minutes, but even then, it was just a few more who showed up, and they were traveling retired Aussies, So it was fun to talk to them about the local wildlife and where they had traveled.

    We saw a little water monitor slip into the water from the rocks,which was fun to see, since our latest art acquisition depicts a water monitor. While having lunch after the swim, a black whip snake slithered around on the lawn. They aren’t venomous, but could bite if antagonized.

    We’ve checked into our last lodgings on our Australia trip, a very nice Airbnb in the small former mining town of Batchelor. We had dinner at the Butterfly Farm, which is a combination lodgings, restaurant and petting zoo. The proprietor, Chris, is a real character, and was hamming it up with Darryl and Nance.
    Read more